When I become a teacher and if I have to teach a book like Huck Finn in my class then I think it is extremely important to give my students some historical context first. Huck Finn raises some very important ideas and concepts from its times, which is very different from today. Some students may feel uncomfortable about what they are reading or may not know what is actually going on. I would introduce slavery and racism before I got into reading the book and maybe have my students do a free write about what they know about slavery and racism and any questions that came to their minds. After we could discuss as a whole what people wrote so people were comfortable with these issues. I think it is also worth discussing the usage of the “N” word because what the word means today does not have the same meaning as it did back then. Calling someone a nigger back then was not such a derogatory word as it is now. Another idea is to give out a handout or some type of literature on the times. If they are educated about slavery or problems that people faced then they may understand the book better. Lastly, a way to get students to relate to Huck Finn would be to pose this question: “Have you ever done something that was against what society thinks is “right”? How did you feel and did you take your stance and continue what you thought was right?” This is what a great deal of the book is about and I think that many people can say they have went through at some point or another. This may get students interested and informed about what is to come.
I agree, and think the historical context is a very large, important, but not always easy topic to get students into.... perhaps via Frederick Douglass speeches, etc... I particularly like the questions re: the just action against society standards. That seems to set up the heroic aspects of huck which your last posting also got at--his crisis of conscience.
ReplyDelete